Day 3 of the journey in Peru.
So far, it's been interesting. I'm having difficulty dropping what baggage I meant to leave in Toronto...I flew 18 hrs on a plane to get away for a little from my petty problems, but it seems they've followed me here.
The people are great - everyone gets along, and seems very trustworthy. There's little drama, and lots of fun to be had. They seem to have an activity every night. Tonight is salsa dancing!
Today I visit my orphanage in which I'll be working. I'm a bit nervous, but almost indifferent to it until it happens. I'm still feeling like I'm sitting in the waiting room, waiting for my turn.
The art of being alone. Is it an art? It's kind of hard. It takes real practice it seems, and I keep falling back on old dusty cushions. I wish I could plant my feet in today and tomorrow, instead of yesterday.
I'm exhausted. Sleep here is difficult - stray dogs outside bark non stop fighting over scraps of food. They're all adorable, but it's tragic to see so many out there by themselves. They also don't have heating here...Under 3 layers of blankets, it's still freezing.
I'm intimidated by the people of Peru. I've heard too many stories of ass grabbings, almost rapes, and petty theft by knife point. I keep my distance, and am constantly alert.
Having people around me helps to distract me from my negative thinking, but I feel I'm still avoiding the problem. Jamie says to meditate and reach serenity one must accept the thought, but let it drift away. I let it drift away, but it always creeps like a sludge back into my mind.
I know though, I have the choice and power of positive thinking. I don't have to think about it, perhaps I'm doing it because it's a force of habit. I came here believing I could change myself from the inside out, and I have to remember to work on this. I can't do anything about what I cannot change, and should only focus my energy on that which I can - and that which makes me a better person.
No comments:
Post a Comment